Meringue with pepper and Barossa Distilling Budburst Gin strawberries
There is nothing better in this world than when you finish your Budburst G+T and get to eat those gin-soaked strawberries! Now add some meringue and ice cream and you are good to go for an Australia Day dessert.
- Prep Time 40 Minutes
- Serves 6 People
- 100g eggwhites (from about 3 eggs)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 200g caster sugar, plus extra 2 tablespoons
- 500g strawberries, sliced if large
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Barossa Distilling Budburst Gin
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons balsamic glaze
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- Raspberry ripple ice cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 110°C and line a tray with baking paper. Place eggwhites, vinegar, 200g sugar and a pinch of salt in a pan over low heat. Stir for 1-2 minutes or until sugar dissolves (use a sugar thermometer to ensure heat doesn’t rise above 37°C). Whisk using electric beaters until stiff and glossy. Spread meringue on tray, then bake for 11/2 hours or until crisp.
- Meanwhile, place strawberries, gin, zest and juice, balsamic glaze, vanilla pod and seeds, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper in a bowl. Toss gently, then chill for 30 minutes to macerate.
- To serve, break up meringue and place on a platter. Top with ice cream and spoon over berries and soaking liquid.