MERINGUE WITH GIN SOAKED BERRIES
There’s nothing better than eating those gin-soaked strawberries when you finish your Budburst G+T! Add some meringue and you have a classic Aussie dessert.
SERVINGS: 6 people
PREP TIME: 40 minutes
- 100 g egg whites rom about 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 200 g caster sugar plus extra 2 tablespoons
- 500 g mixed berries, sliced if large
- 1/4 cup 60ml Barossa Distilling Budburst Gin
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons balsamic glaze
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- Whipped cream or ice cream to serve. Try a Raspberry ripple ice cream for a real fruity finish!
- Preheat oven to 110°C and line a tray with baking paper. Place egg whites, vinegar, 200g sugar and a pinch of salt in a pan over low heat. Stir for 1-2 minutes or until sugar dissolves (use a sugar thermometer to ensure heat doesn’t rise above 37°C). Whisk using electric beaters until stiff and glossy. Spread meringue on tray as one large meringue or smaller individual portions, then bake for 1 1/2 hours or until crisp.
- Meanwhile, place strawberries, Budburst Gin, zest and juice, balsamic glaze, vanilla pod and seeds, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper in a bowl. Toss gently, then chill for 30 minutes to macerate.
- To serve, break up meringue and place on a platter or serve individual portions. Top with cream or ice cream and spoon over berries and soaking liquid.