A fresh twist on a classic dessert, this Gin-amisu is zesty and light; perfect for a warm Australian Christmas. Made with our Australian Garden Gin, the gin-laced cream and lemon syrup will have you wanting to eat it by the spoonful!
- COOK TIME 45 minutes
- Serves 8 People
- Lemon Syrup Cake Mix
- 60g Unsalted butter, at room temperaturu
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 lemon, rind finely grated
- 1/3 cup of tonic water
- 50ml fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of Australian Garden Gin
- 600ml thickened cream
- 2 x 250g tubs of mascarpone
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Grease a 20cm (base size) round cake pan and line the base with baking paper.
- Place lemon syrup cake mix (keep the lemon syrup mix aside), butter, eggs, milk and lemon rind in a bowl. Use electric beaters on low speed to beat until combined. Increase speed to medium. Beat, scraping down side of bowl with a spatula, for 2 minutes.
- Spoon into prepared pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, place the lemon syrup mix, tonic water and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 8 minutes or until reduced to about 160ml (2/3 cup). Set aside to cool slightly. Stir in Australian Garden Gin.
- Place cream, mascarpone and 2 tablespoons of cooled lemon syrup in a bowl. Use electric beaters to beat until firm peaks form.
- Cut the cake vertically into ten 1.5cm thick slices. Line the base of a 7cm-deep, 20.5 x 31cm dish with half the cake slices. Brush with one-third of the syrup. Top with half the cream mixture.
- Top with the remaining cake slices. Brush with half of the remaining syrup. Top with remaining cream mixture. Place in the fridge for 2 hours or until chilled.
- Sprinkle with lemon rind. Drizzle with the remaining syrup.