Homemade Gin Pickles
- 2 tablespoons each of black and yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon of Juniper Berries
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 eschalots, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- Sprig of fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons of mustard oil
- 2 cups (500ml) of white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of Generations Gin
- 1/2 cup (110g) of caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon of salt flakes
- 400g of small cucumbers sliced or cut into batons
- Firstly place mustard seeds, nutmeg, eschalots, bay leaves, mustard oil, vinegar, gin and sugar and salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to the boil. Remove from heat and set aside to infuse for 2 hours.
- Then return to heat and bring to just below the boil. Arrange cucumbers, sliced in sterilised jar and pour hot pickle mixture over the top.
- Lastly, seal with sterilised lid and invert jar to create a heat seal. Place inverted jar on a tray (in case of any small leaks) and cool completely. Turn back upright and store at room temperature for up to 6 months unopened. Refrigerate after opening.